Did you know that your version of Internet Explorer is out of date?
To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend downloading one of the browsers below.

Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

FIRE REPORTING

Case No.: Hair Raiser
Title: FIRE REPORTING – INCIDENT ENTRY 2008/10/25
Incident: Severe Burns
Date: October 18, 2008
Time: 20:41:23
Property Classification: Multi-Unit Dwelling
Arrival Conditions: Victim and her friend in living room. Victim had her left hand wrapped in a cool, damp towel.
Ignition Source: Hair Straightener
Object Ignited: n/a
Object Ignited Other: n/a
Remarks

Other Agencies Required: ESA

Fire Fighters and EMS arrived on scene to find victim, Caron Straytair and friend, Marcie Parker in living room. Victim had her left arm wrapped in a cold damp towel. Victim described situation (see witness statement). Upon investigation, victim had hair straightener plugged into bathroom outlet. The bathroom outlet was not GFCI and the appliance did not have a product certification mark. Incident reported to landlord and ESA. Victim has been transported to hospital to receive medical attention for burns.

go back to case