Did you know that your version of Internet Explorer is out of date?
To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend downloading one of the browsers below.

Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

FIRE REPORTING

Case No.: Handy Horror
Title: FIRE REPORTING – INCIDENT ENTRY 2013/03/24
Incident: Home Fire
Date: 03/17/2013
Time: 14:16:58
Property Classification: Detached Dwelling
Arrival Conditions: Smoke coming from second floor bedroom
Ignition Source: Electrical wiring
Object Ignited: Wood framing
Object Ignited Other: Wall
Remarks

Other Agencies Required: Hydro One, ESA

Pumpers 442 and 310 arrived to find smoke coming from the second floor of the dwelling. Smoke detectors had been activated in the home. Family noted that their son, Mikey MacGuyver had smoke inhalation. EMS responded to the boy who appeared to be suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Squad 442 entered the dwelling to fight the fire which had consumed much of the bedroom on the second floor. After the fire had been extinguished, investigation revealed that the fire had started in a bedroom as a result of defective wiring. Further investigation revealed that the AFCI breaker in the panel that is required by the Ontario Electrical Safety Code for bedrooms had been substituted with a standard breaker allowing the defective wiring to arc and cause a fire. The original breaker would have prevented this incident, but the warning sign was ignored.

go back to case