Did you know that your version of Internet Explorer is out of date?
To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend downloading one of the browsers below.

Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

FIRE REPORTING

Case No.: Party Shocker
Title: FIRE REPORTING – INCIDENT ENTRY 2013/08/13
Incident: Electric Shock
Date: August 6, 2013
Time: 21:35:11
Property Classification: Semi-Detached Dwelling
Arrival Conditions: Eight individuals, six had just gotten out of the hot tub, victim had severe electrical burns on the palms of his hands.
Ignition Source: n/a
Object Ignited: n/a
Object Ignited Other: n/a
Remarks

Other Agencies Required: ESA

Fire Fighters and EMS arrived on scene to find a small gathering at a house. Witness (Scott Parker) gave a statement. EMS treated victim for burns on scene and brought him to hospital for further medical attention. ESA arrived on the scene shortly after. Investigation by ESA revealed that hot tub installation had not been installed correctly or been inspected. The hot tub was not grounded or protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) as required by the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. A damaged wire in the hot tub energized the tub and its occupants. They did not receive a shock until the victim grabbed the fence that created a grounding path. ESA would not leave the scene until the power to hot tub was disconnected. They are considering charges under the Electricity Act against the homeowner for working without an electrical permit and leaving an electrical hazard. They recommended hiring a Licensed Electrical Contractor to complete the repairs.

go back to case