Other Agencies Required: Hydro, ESA
Fire Fighters arrived on scene to find smoke coming from top floor windows. Squad 415 entered the dwelling to find smoke detectors were activated. In attic living space, used a pike pole to tear down vaulted ceilings from around installed pot lights. Fire was smouldering in insulation near where the pot lights were installed. A small volume of water was used to extinguish the fire. Upon examination by The Electrical Safety Authority it was determined the pot lights buried in attic insulation were not rated for use where they would be in contact with insulation (non-IC) and heat from the lights appears to have started the fire. Based on fire damage to the insulation, we have determined that this fire had been smouldering for some time prior to being discovered.